Citizens CPR Academy Hosted by United Way & Cape Fire Department


Cape Girardeau – The United Way of Southeast Missouri (UWSEMO) and the Cape Girardeau Fire Department are pleased to announce their collaboration on Citizens CPR Academy, a new CPR training program offered at no expense to participants as a part of United Way’s ‘Give from the Heart’ campaign.

The class will take place on Sunday, March 5th from 2-4 p.m. in the emergency operations center of Fire Station 3, located at 1975 N. Sprigg. This inaugural class will be limited to 30 participants and will offer CPR instruction at a lay rescuer level. Those interested are encouraged to sign up soon. Registration information can be found by visiting

 Tyler Grovener, Firefighter and Paramedic for the Cape Girardeau Fire Department, is certified through the American Heart Association and approached United Way about implementing the program as his way to give back to the community and honor his late grandfather, Zeno Blattel.

 Grovenor approached United Way because he felt the organization’s Give from the Heart campaign offered an ideal opportunity. He explained: “I always want to help the people I work with, but I have to think about what I can actually do to have the biggest impact on everyone. The blessings from the heart start from the beating of a heart. What better blessing for the heart could there be than to keep one beating?”

 Estimates indicate approximately 300,000 Americans suffer sudden cardiac arrest yearly, with over 90% becoming fatal. Chances of survival can decrease 7-10% each minute CPR is not performed. Studies have shown an increase of 30-45% in survival rates when CPR/AED are initiated within the first 5-7 minutes of onset.


United Way of Southeast Missouri fights for the health, education and financial stability of every individual in the communities of Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Scott City, Bollinger and Perry Counties. United Way mobilizes organizations, institutions and volunteers to address the community’s most pressing issues, focusing on the building blocks of a vibrant community: Education, Income and Health. The problems facing our community are complex; they are issues that no single organization or individual alone can solve. Real change is possible when nonprofit, public and private sectors work together. United Way has the network, partnerships and strategic initiatives to create lasting change in the lives of our friends and neighbors and in the future of our community. For more information please visit or call 573-334-9634.

Let Us Know

Click below to submit to us content regarding the local area.

Submit a Story!

Send us your event information and let us help you get the word out. You can also receive more information on advertising on our site!

Submit Your Event!

Want to see your business on our site in some way? Then click below!

Submit a Business!

News Archive

Powered by mod LCA